Records and Registers
Manchester Archives and Local History Department
When Registers are full at St. Thomas' Church, they are kept on site for a number of years, before being taken to Manchester Archives and Local History Department in Manchester Central Library for Storage. Other Parish Documents are treated in the same way.
The following items are currently kept in Manchester Central Library:
- Baptisms 1845-1925 (MFPR 2158)
- Baptisms 1925-1942 (Archives GB127.L219)
- Baptisms 1942-1965
- Marriages 1856-1872 (MFPR 2158)
- Marriages 1872-1910 (MFPR 2159)
- Marriages 1910-1945
- Marriages 1945-1973
- Banns of Marriage 1930-1962?
- Confirmations 1904-1991
- Preachers' Books & Registers of Services 1879-1986
- Parish Magzines 1883-1921
- List of Gifts to Church & Record of Events 1860-1964
- Churchwardens' Accounts 1928-1987
- Annual Vestry Meeting Minutes 1880-1981
- Parochial Church Council Minutes 1920-1950
- Official Parochial Register 1900-1909
- Sunday School Teacher's Minutes 1913-1932
- School Managers' Minutes 1873-1903
- School Managers' Cash Book 1878-1905
More recent registers and items are likely to be located in St. Thomas' Church. But after the changes in the Law in 2021, Marriage Registers are no longer held in church.
This data was retreived from http://www.gmlives.org.uk/results.html#imu[rid=ecatalogue.240373].
The data covers two linear meters of the Fonds Collection, identifier: GB127.L219 - unless otherwise stated.
The Church was consecrated on 21 November 1855
Some registers available online: http://collections.ancestry.co.uk/search/UK/ManchesterArchives
You may also want to try Lanchashire Births, Marriages and Deaths for further information. The site has a searchable index of many births marriages and deaths in the region.
Oldham Local Studies and Archives parish records
In addition, these items are kept locally in Oldham:
- Baptisms (Bishop's Transcripts) 1847-1854
(This is cut and pasted from the listing at Oldham Council Local Studies and Archives .)
Please Contact the church to make an appointment or enquiry.
Please ensure that you have read the above information before making an enquiry.
If your enquiry relates to a more recent date, you will need to give the approximate date of a wedding or baptism.
The fee for a copy of a Baptism Certificate is £14 (2020). From May 2021, We are no longer allowed to issue Marriage Certificates. Instead you must apply to
Oldham Council Registrar
All fees are set nationally by the Church of England.